Topic Options
#71493 - 01/27/16 11:04 PM Swollen lymph node.....so very worried
carsam Offline
Learning-Toddler

Loc: Toronto, ON
Dr B,
My 6 year old son was just diagnosed 6 weeks ago with Type 1 Diabetes. It has been a very difficult time for us. He initially had a very bad viral infection, completed with ear infection, ruptured ear drum, etc. The infection apparently "tipped over" the diabetes. That was Dec 11th.

So...on Monday, he told me his neck hurt, and I felt it and found a big swollen lump....took him to doctor, they sent him for an ultrasound that same day and did a CBC bloodwork.
The ultrasound showed "reactionary" lymph nodes, and the bloodword showed elevated white blood cells. The doctor said his body is fighting an infection, but he seems rather well to me aside from the ups and downs of being newly diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. She also said the lymph nodes still have their "coating" whatever that means, and that is good.
We have a follow up next week and they want to repeat ultrasound and bloodwork. Is it possible this is from the infection a month ago that tipped over the diabetes? I am so fearful this could be something worse like a blood cancer.
Please let me know your thoughts. I would appreciate it so much.

Thanks!
Caroline

#71494 - 01/27/16 11:08 PM Re: Swollen lymph node.....so very worried [Re: carsam]
carsam Offline
Learning-Toddler

Loc: Toronto, ON
Also, not sure if this is a silly question, is it possible there is some sort of reaction to the insulin he has just started taking?

#71496 - 02/10/16 11:32 AM Re: Swollen lymph node.....so very worried [Re: carsam]
Dr. B Moderator Offline
Wise-Teacher

Hi,

Cancer would have shown in the CBC as a very low WBC. This does sound like an infection. If he were on his way to diabetes, an infection can trigger it but it would have happened at some point soon anyway. I doubt a reaction to the insulin. Glands enlarge to fight off something. A reaction to insulin would be more generalized like a rash over the body.

Moderator:  Dr. B, katherinelp, MyGuyTy, zachluke 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Newest Members
sebelahku, alizah, Jimmy, asukoe, ojosaru
2618 Registered Users