Topic Options
#70813 - 02/06/12 02:41 PM heart palpatations
moondance727 Offline
New-Baby

Loc: MA
My son is 16 years old. He has has had issues with heart palpatations and shortness of breath for about 3 weeks. He described the SOB like having to catch his breath when he is having palpitations. He is not gasping for air and it lasts seconds. It happens about 3-5 times a day, he does get woken up from it also.
I have been unable to get any vitals while he's having an episode, but when I did get his HR it was 92. He is 5'7 111 lbs.
I took him to his doc last week and after listening to his heart and lungs (normal), he asked him about caffiene intake and his sleep. Since my son has trouble getting to sleep he suggested trying melatonin 3-5 mg per night. A far as his caffiene intake, he was having maybe two 8 oz Coca Cola's per day.

Since Feb 2nd, he has not had any caffiene. He tried the melatonin for a few nights, but it didn't help with his falling asleep, only made it harder for him to get up in the morning (do not need to cause more problems grin!)He is still having the palpitations and SOB.
I have to call his ped back if it doesn't go away in a couple of weeks.
I was thinking maybe anxiety? I was just wondering if you had any thoughts on this. Thank you!

#70816 - 02/08/12 11:42 AM Re: heart palpatations [Re: moondance727]
Dr. B Moderator Offline
Wise-Teacher

Hi,

Anxiety is most likely. I'd run an EKG to rule out arrythmia.

Moderator:  Dr. B, katherinelp, MyGuyTy, zachluke 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Newest Members
sebelahku, alizah, Jimmy, asukoe, ojosaru
2618 Registered Users