Topic Options
#70613 - 01/21/11 01:19 AM 5 year old who complains his heart hurts
sarab Offline
New-Baby

Hi Dr. B,

My 5 year old son randomly complains that his heart hurts. He says it hurts in the middle of his chest, which I know is not his heart. He is in obvious discomfort when this happens and it usually lasts anywhere from 5-20 minutes.
I mentioned it at his 5 year check up, and the Ped thought it could be heartburn or reflux.
It doesn't seem to be related to eating anything. When should I be concerned and ask for more testing? I mean, is this a common complaint from children?
I just don't want him to be suffering from some heart defect and no one know about it!
Thanks,
Sara

#70615 - 01/21/11 06:52 PM Re: 5 year old who complains his heart hurts [Re: sarab]
KristyS Offline
Learned-Full Adulthood

Loc: Virginia
I can tell you my own experiences. When I was 4 I started complaining about chest pains. Everyone blew it off. I would have them off and on. Had them my entire childhood. When I was in college, I complained to a doctor and he sent me to a cardiologist. They assumed it was nothing (which it wasn't anything major), but he did diagnose me with mitral valve prolapse. I went on a medication and the pains went away immediately.

Here's my mom advice. If your child is complaining about chest pains, I don't think it hurts to see a pediatric cardiologist and just have him checked out. At least you would have peace of mind.

#70616 - 01/22/11 01:55 PM Re: 5 year old who complains his heart hurts [Re: KristyS]
Dr. B Moderator Offline
Wise-Teacher

Hi,

It is a common complaint and usually it is reflux or even growing pains. I would try a reflux medicine first. If that doesn't fix it then I would ask for an EKG/chest x-ray/echo.

Moderator:  Dr. B, katherinelp, MyGuyTy, zachluke 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 4 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Newest Members
sebelahku, alizah, Jimmy, asukoe, ojosaru
2618 Registered Users