Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#65412 - 05/17/07 09:25 PM Dr. B
MyGuyTy Offline
Wise-Teacher

Loc: Oklahoma
Ok, the little guy I've been talking to you about is a week old (30 gestational)Um has gained 50 grams after losing a bit. Still jaundiced and being tube fed her breastmilk but is off the respirator. His Dr's are convinced the bleeding in the head is not an issue now but are still concerned that the infection he had may have done damage to internal organs...they felt lucky to have had the right antibiotic on hand. What is you experience with infections in newborns of his age? He is getting to be held by his momma some days for 4 hours and others for less because of of needing the uv lights.
Here is the newest picture just cause

3 days old

1 week today

Edited by MyGuyTy (05/17/07 09:42 PM)

#65413 - 05/18/07 11:11 AM Re: Dr. B [Re: MyGuyTy]
Dr. B Moderator Offline
Wise-Teacher

Hi,

The infections are usually cured. That turns out in most cases to be a temporary problem. I'd like to know the level of the brain bleed with a head ultrasound.

#65414 - 05/22/07 06:17 AM Re: Dr. B [Re: Dr. B]
noellewitt Offline
New-Baby

Loc: Arizona
Oh this baby is such a little angel and I will be praying for him and his mother and family. God will take care of this small baby.

#65415 - 05/22/07 07:46 PM Re: Dr. B [Re: noellewitt]
MyGuyTy Offline
Wise-Teacher

Dr. B,
She never got a clear answer on the level of the bleed, only not to worry now so I am going to imagine that it was a 1 or 2 like you mentioned (there may be an issue with the English to German translation for her in asking them this question because I "assume" whether you are an American pediatrician or German, the training is the same as are procedure?). Luca is gaining and growing quickly, off the respirator and they are going to try to let her breastfeed today or tomorrow. There was some concern that he would need surgery for the necrosis on his arm (from an injection or IV they used to administer calcium) but it appears to be clearing up on its own. Still having a little bit of jaundice which is to be expected (but for how long approximately)
Here are the newest pics...

10 days old

So sweet

You can see his arm is healing

Thank you Noelle...I do believe the prayers are working and its nice to meet you...WELCOME to Ibaby!!!

#65416 - 05/23/07 01:36 PM Re: Dr. B [Re: MyGuyTy]
JDsMomD Offline
Somewhat Knowledgeable-Adolescent

Loc: Sardinia, Oh
Oh Rae! My prayers are with the little angel as well.

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all.

#65417 - 05/30/07 02:44 AM Re: Dr. B [Re: JDsMomD]
MyGuyTy Offline
Wise-Teacher

Ok Dr B,
Luca needed transfusion today...I guess his red blood cells were not on track and again I come to you! He really had been progressing well and this kinda scared his mom/grandma, so I said I would ask. He will be 3 weeks old on Thursday has gone from 1130 grams and 39 cm length to 1460 grams and 41 Cm. Does this happen frequently with preemies (transfusions) and if so why ( no word on and underlying infection or high white count) and while I am at it one more new pic for you.

AS ALWAYS Thank YOU!!!

Edited by MyGuyTy (05/30/07 02:45 AM)

#65418 - 05/30/07 08:19 PM Re: Dr. B [Re: MyGuyTy]
MyGuyTy Offline
Wise-Teacher

Ok now my head is about to split...Today the ultrasound shows cysts...I'm not clear if they are PVL or in the germinal matrix???
I have now insisted that she get the grade of bleed from the Dr.'s and whether or not it extends into the ventricle because after hours of reading some medical sites,I am now beginning to understanding WHAT you were looking for in asking me the level of the bleed. I would also like information on sites I can use that will not require I pay to research the paper and/or a book I could check out at the library?

Edited by MyGuyTy (05/30/07 10:12 PM)

#65419 - 06/01/07 03:58 AM Re: Dr. B [Re: MyGuyTy]
MyGuyTy Offline
Wise-Teacher

You missed this yesterday but thats all good because it gave me time to learn the bleed was Grade 1 however I am still curious about the cysts.
Thanks!!!!

#65420 - 11/18/07 07:38 AM Re: Dr. B [Re: MyGuyTy]
MyGuyTy Offline
Wise-Teacher

Good Morning Dr. B.,
I pulled this post back up just to remind you of the situation as I have a few new questions. I received and e-mail from my friend in Germany and Luca is her grandson. He is now 6 months old and had either an MRI or Cat scan about 3 weeks ago to see if there was any improvement with the cysts. The results are not back yet however at his check-up on Tuesday his Pediatrician said this....
I am pasting part of her letter so I don't miss anything and you can get a feel as to what she is experiencing with Luca.

---Luca's doc said (keep in mind that there are still no results from the hospital on the cysts) that Luca will be handicapped.---

I am curious as to how she knows this?

She did not speak about cysts in his brain but parts of his brain that are dead as she put it.
She can't say in which way he will be handicapped it may be his movement or even his speaking. He is way behind in his movement compared to other 6 month old babies (hahaha, he was almost 3 month early eh) but that he compares with 3 month old babies (DUH).

What is the time frame for preemies ( he was 28wks)to catch up to their peers?
He is not allowed to eat babyfood which other babies start around 4 month. So I am wondering why in some way she is treating him as a 3 month old boy and then again as if he were regular 6 month old?

When I rock him to sleep humming a melody he always goes "aaaaww"*S. And when you just talk looking into his eyes he answers, too. When you hold him up so his feet are touching the floor he's acting as if he wants to walk. All pretty normal to me...

SO can you clear up the confusion for us please Dr. B.?

THANKS!!!

#65421 - 11/18/07 09:11 PM Re: Dr. B [Re: MyGuyTy]
Dr. B Moderator Offline
Wise-Teacher

Hi,

I don't think there is a way to be sure at this point that any delays are permanent. With a grade 1 bleed they usually end up fine. You need to give it at least a year to catch up, sometimes even two years. I would treat him like his chronological age as far as vaccines and feeding. The only differce is I would have him on 22 cal/ounce formula until 1 year of age.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dr. B 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Newest Members
sebelahku, alizah, Jimmy, asukoe, ojosaru
2618 Registered Users