Topic Options
#14462 - 12/28/02 03:53 AM could it be broke?
janine Offline

Loc: chicago
My 2 year old jump down from about 5 feet 4 days ago. I took him to get x-rays about 2 hours later. They came back OK. He is still limping and the top and sole of his foot are still a little swollen and warm. I noticed 3 small purple bruises on the sole of his foot. Is this normal and if so how long does this last? Thanks

#14463 - 12/28/02 11:56 PM Re: could it be broke?
Dr. B Moderator Offline
Wise-Teacher

Hi,

If the x-ray is normal then it is not broken. The bruising can last for 2-3 weeks.

#14464 - 12/29/02 05:39 AM Re: could it be broke?
janine Offline

Hi I wanted to tell you thank you for your reply. I went and had another x-ray and they missed it and he fractured the top of his foot in 2 places. Luckily my doctor had the radiologist re-read the x-ray and he found it. He said that it is hard to catch in small children. But I wanted to tell you thank you for your reply

#14465 - 12/29/02 05:48 AM Re: could it be broke?
katherinelp Offline
Wise-Teacher

Loc: Regina
Poor guy!

Those bones are quite small...and they can be missed. Usually, those that are just bruised, kids stop limping, at this age, within a couple of days. You did the right thing by having them re-check those films.

Cheers!
K

#14466 - 12/29/02 08:39 PM Re: could it be broke?
beth_cam Offline

This has happened to 2 of my brothers and a friend. None even being small children. They were taken to er immediately after an injury and the films were fine. After several more days the breaks showed up on x-ray. I even read an article somewher about when xrays are taken too soon the break might not show. It even advised unless immediate attention is needed to the injury, waiting for the xrays. Dont think I'll be waiting for my kids but atleast it is something in the back of my mind if things dont seem to be healing right.

#14467 - 12/31/02 04:11 PM Re: could it be broke?
janine Offline

thanks for your reply. That was nice of everyone have a happy new year

Moderator:  Dr. B 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Newest Members
sebelahku, alizah, Jimmy, asukoe, ojosaru
2618 Registered Users